Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?

Charset & Collation: UTF-8, ujis_japanese_ci

Asked Modified Viewed 3,116 times
O
oKawa
O
oKawa 10
  • Junior Member, joined since
  • Contributed 23 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 10 threads in the forums
  • Started this discussions
asked

My site is English, but I have a Japanese glossary of terms as well as the occasional Japanese characters in the forums. So, I want it to be a bi-lingual site, English and Japanese.

The other day, I had backed up my SQL terms and restored it to another site in the glossary. The characters came out garbled [ zenkoshu - 前戸主 ] it had no characters nor the unicode for those characters.

I went into phpMyAdmin and set the MySQL connection collation to: ujis_japanese_ci and it's not garbled anymore, after correcting it, and it's using the unicode for those characters [zenkoshu - 前戸主 ]

Will my back ups be okay by setting phpMyAdmin with the collation ujis_japanese_ci or do I need to add/change something in my PHPFusion files such as the charset [utf-8]?

Should my charset be changed to a Japanese charset [x-sjis] or keep it as it is? [there is another site using this charset x-sjis, and it's bi-lingual]

What is the TABLES charset?

Thanks
0 replies

5 posts

A
adicrst
A
  • Member, joined since
  • Contributed 111 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 32 threads in the forums
answered

Now if you'll save you database as utf-8 and restore it, it should work in the future. Make a test on a diferent database and see if it works
0 replies
O
oKawa
O
oKawa 10
  • Junior Member, joined since
  • Contributed 23 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 10 threads in the forums
  • Started this discussions
answered

okay, I saved the file and tested it on another database.

It restored the characters in my glossary [Terms Infusion v1.00 by Muscapaul] correctly, but the characters in my forums and forum subject tile came out with a ??.

I tried changing the charset utf-8 in my locale/english to x-sjis, but that didn't work, it changed all the characters to a different character....

0 replies
— 2 months later —
S
shinjikun
S
  • Newbie, joined since
  • Contributed 4 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 1 thread in the forums
answered

How do I change my charset in my locale?? I need to change my locale charset x-jis. does anyone know?

Either that or can I just replace this .$locale['charset']. in the php fusion files with the x-jis charset?
Edited by shinjikun on 28-11-2007 18:11,
0 replies
M
Matonor
M
Impossible things are there to be made possible
  • Veteran Member, joined since
  • Contributed 1,022 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 3 threads in the forums
answered
Veteran Member

the charset is set in locale/language/global.php
0 replies
S
shinjikun
S
  • Newbie, joined since
  • Contributed 4 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 1 thread in the forums
answered

All that I get is questionmarks

Is there a setup for Japanaese that you know of. I have it set to x-sjis but it still only give me question marks. What charset should I have set for my sql server???
0 replies

Labels

None yet

Statistics

• Views 0 views
  • Posts 5 posts
  • Votes 0 votes
  • Topic users 4 members

0 participants

Notifications

Track thread

You are not receiving notifications from this thread.

Related Questions

Not yet