Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?

Fetch users from v6 db?

Asked Modified Viewed 2,979 times
T
Tubaplayer
T
  • Newbie, joined since
  • Contributed 4 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 1 thread in the forums
  • Started this discussions
asked

Hi!
Is there a way to get the user data from an existing v6 site to a new v7 site? Or do I have to make a new v6 site, import the user data from the old one, and then upgrade the new site to v7? I just want the user data, not all the other content..

P
0 replies

12 posts

M
mojkan
M
mojkan 10
  • Member, joined since
  • Contributed 129 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 32 threads in the forums
answered

I've been thinking about the same.

Wouldn't it be possible to write a script that upgrades a database, without having to create an entire site each time :) For us who run both v6 and v7 and want the test site (v7) to use for instance forum threads, posts and users from v 6, that would make the work much easier.

Maybe an infusion where you point to a database and the infusion converts the database to v 7 standards :)
0 replies
T
Tubaplayer
T
  • Newbie, joined since
answered

Good idea, but not the same thing that I have in mind. I'm not talking about running the sites side by side, sharing info from the db. What I need is to be able to switch from the old v6 site to the new v7 site (currently running in a sub folder on the same domain), and bring all the user data (basically the user registration data and the profile info) to the new site. Permanently.

A bonus would be if I could import the photo album, but that's not so important. I can do that manually on one of many rainy days in Bergen (Norway's rainy city).

I don't need/want forum threads, posts, news, articles etc.
0 replies
M
Matonor
M
Impossible things are there to be made possible
  • Veteran Member, joined since
  • Contributed 1,022 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 3 threads in the forums
answered
Veteran Member

Upgrading the site and then backing up & restoring the data you want is the easiest way. It takes 5 minutes so I doubt anyone would write a script to do that.
0 replies
K
kneekoo
K
  • Senior Member, joined since
  • Contributed 289 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 12 threads in the forums
  • Answered 1 question
answered

Tubaplayer, if all you want is to upgrade to v7 on your website then follow Matonor's advice. After that we can easily help you to empty your news, forum and the other tables. That's probably the smallest problem you could get into. :)

mojkan, why complicate your life with custom imports/exports? Try this:

1. Install the same v6 version you have on the first site to your second location.

2. Make a backup of your v6 (Admin Panel -> System Admin -> Database Backup) and keep it handy.

3. Copy all your files from your current site to the new one.

Now the next step would be to restore your database but it's very important that you give your saved tables a different prefix before continuing so you can have two separate sites running.

To rename your table prefixes you will have to open your SQL file in Notepad, Notepad2 etc (not Wordpad, Word or any other rich text editor) and start replacing the prefixes. This is as example:

Replace fusion_ with fusion7_

As you noticed, I only added a 7 but that's enough to make it different so we don't end up mixing data.

4. Login as a Super Administrator on your second website and go to Admin Panel -> System Admin -> Database Backup to restore your modified database backup.

5. Login through FTP to your website and edit your config.php file to update $db_prefix and DB_PREFIX. This way your new website will use the modified database you have just restored from your full export.

6. Get v7 and follow the readme instructions to migrate your new site to the latest version. That should be it.
0 replies
T
Tubaplayer
T
  • Newbie, joined since
answered

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated. Thing is, I have a v7 site that was originally supposed to be used just for testing stability and compatibility. While testing, I posted news, articles, links, pictures and so on. Now I'd like to keep all of this stuff in the new site, so a full export/import from the old site, followed by deleting news, articles etc. is not an option. But Matanor's suggestion is probably the best, if I make a bit of extra work of it. Here's my plan:
- set up a new 6.x.x site
- import db from old v6 site
- upgrade new v6 site to v7
- export user fields
- import user fields to current v7 site
- done :)
0 replies
V
VoiceX
V
VoiceX 10
|
| GreetX from Switzerland
|
| VoiceX
|
  • Newbie, joined since
  • Contributed 7 posts on the community forums.
answered

how can i bring the only Users into v7?

I just wanna export Username, Userinfos, password, mail and rest of Users info. No news/articles/...
0 replies
T
Tubaplayer
T
  • Newbie, joined since
answered

Read the thread.... That was my first question, and it has been properly solved.. If you read my last entry, I wrote down step by step how I'm going to do it. That's probably the easiest way. If you have a fresh install without any news, articles, forum posts and so on, you can import the entire database, and then delete everything you don't need.
Edited by Tubaplayer on 21-07-2008 16:27,
0 replies
M
mojkan
M
mojkan 10
  • Member, joined since
answered

kneekoo wrote:
Tubaplayer, if all you want is to upgrade to v7 on your website then follow Matonor's advice. After that we can easily help you to empty your news, forum and the other tables. That's probably the smallest problem you could get into. :)

mojkan, why complicate your life with custom imports/exports? Try this:

1. Install the same v6 version you have on the first site to your second location.

2. Make a backup of your v6 (Admin Panel -> System Admin -> Database Backup) and keep it handy.

3. Copy all your files from your current site to the new one.

Now the next step would be to restore your database but it's very important that you give your saved tables a different prefix before continuing so you can have two separate sites running.

To rename your table prefixes you will have to open your SQL file in Notepad, Notepad2 etc (not Wordpad, Word or any other rich text editor) and start replacing the prefixes. This is as example:

Replace fusion_ with fusion7_

As you noticed, I only added a 7 but that's enough to make it different so we don't end up mixing data.

4. Login as a Super Administrator on your second website and go to Admin Panel -> System Admin -> Database Backup to restore your modified database backup.

5. Login through FTP to your website and edit your config.php file to update $db_prefix and DB_PREFIX. This way your new website will use the modified database you have just restored from your full export.

6. Get v7 and follow the readme instructions to migrate your new site to the latest version. That should be it.

I already did that :) And it works like a charm. I admit I was a bit lazy in my thoughts before. I will only have to do this one time when it's time to convert to v7. Until then I don't really need to keep my test v7 site up to date.

Yep yep, keep up the good work you do here :)

Tubaplayer wrote:
Thanks for your replies, much appreciated. Thing is, I have a v7 site that was originally supposed to be used just for testing stability and compatibility. While testing, I posted news, articles, links, pictures and so on. Now I'd like to keep all of this stuff in the new site, so a full export/import from the old site, followed by deleting news, articles etc. is not an option. But Matanor's suggestion is probably the best, if I make a bit of extra work of it. Here's my plan:
- set up a new 6.x.x site
- import db from old v6 site
- upgrade new v6 site to v7
- export user fields
- import user fields to current v7 site
- done :)

That is exactly how I did it! And it works very well. However, I guess you will lose those news etc you have put in your v7 test site, if you also want the news etc from your old site. Unless you are able to chose specific information to restore from phpMyadmins (but I don't think you can merge the databases like that).
Also sorry for hi-jacking your thread, at the beginning I thought we hade the same ide :)
Edited by mojkan on 21-07-2008 17:01,
0 replies
V
VoiceX
V
VoiceX 10
|
|
| VoiceX
|
  • Newbie, joined since
answered

thx, i solved it myself by exporting fusion_users and fusion_user_groups. Took the inserts, added the fields user_admin_password and user_threads.

Needed 15 minutes in comparing the old and the new table and 5 minutes in doing the work in phpMyAdmin.
0 replies
G
googlebot
G
Visit the new home of the merge between Hacking Vs. Security and Security Override!
My copyright removal has been switched over from HvS to SecurityOverride.
  • Contributed 638 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 28 threads in the forums
answered

You do know you can select the tables that you back up, don't you? That is, you can back up only PREFIX_users if you want..
0 replies
K
kneekoo
K
  • Answered 1 question
answered

Well... he does know. :)

VoiceX wrote:
thx, i solved it myself by exporting fusion_users and fusion_user_groups. Took the inserts, added the fields user_admin_password and user_threads.
0 replies
M
mojkan
M
mojkan 10
  • Member, joined since
answered

googlebot wrote:
You do know you can select the tables that you back up, don't you? That is, you can back up only PREFIX_users if you want..

Yep :) But I miss the fact in phpMyadmins to be able to break out one table to restore out of an entire database like you can do using restore from within your php-fusion site.
0 replies

Category Forum

Upgrading issues - 8

Labels

None yet

Statistics

• Views 0 views
  • Posts 12 posts
  • Votes 0 votes
  • Topic users 6 members

6 participants

M
M
Impossible things are there to be made possible
  • Veteran Member, joined since
  • Contributed 1,022 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 3 threads in the forums
K
K
  • Answered 1 question
V
V
VoiceX 10
|
|
| VoiceX
|
  • Newbie, joined since
T
T
  • Newbie, joined since
M
M
mojkan 10
  • Member, joined since
G
G
Visit the new home of the merge between Hacking Vs. Security and Security Override!
My copyright removal has been switched over from HvS to SecurityOverride.
  • Contributed 638 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 28 threads in the forums

Notifications

Track thread

You are not receiving notifications from this thread.

Related Questions

Not yet