Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?

Replying to Private Messages

Asked Modified Viewed 2,723 times
C
chamberlas
C
  • Junior Member, joined since
  • Contributed 40 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 9 threads in the forums
  • Started this discussions
asked

Hi, ever since I upgraded from version 6 to version 7 I have noticed a very intermittent problem with replying to Private messages.

I am going to do a little testing with a friend on this, but I have only noticed it with replying and I have not noticed any error message.

The only indication that it has not been sent is when you are expecting a reply and it never comes. Also I dont think you get a sent message. There is no error message that I have noticed, but I will try and test this with a friend.

The only problems I have ever had with PHPfusion is that my FTP never seems to be 100%, so it could be a problem with the initial FTP installation, but that doesnt explain why its intermittent.

If anyone has any ideas or things to check please let me know :)
0 replies

9 posts

M
muscapaul
M
Paul

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like banana (Groucho Marx)

Sites: Diptera.info (site owner); Online-Keys.net (site owner); Sciomyzidae.info (site co-owner); muscapaul.com (defunct; site owner)
  • Veteran Member, joined since
  • Contributed 1,075 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 8 threads in the forums
answered
Veteran Member

Have you re-uploaded the messages.php files already?
Do the messages appear in the outbox?
0 replies
C
chamberlas
C
answered

Ive tried to reproduce this, ping ponging pm's between myself and another. The only time we had a problem was when our mail box was full. Im going to monitor this and see if it continue, but is there a way of making the inbox full message more prominent ?

The messages do not appear in the outbox when the other mailbox is full.

No, i have not re-uplodaded the messages.php. I cant see why it would only fail sometimes if it was the php script .....

Ive tried long messages, special format of messages etc etc, the only failure is on inbox full.
0 replies
U
Ugleh
U
Ugleh 10
  • Member, joined since
  • Contributed 160 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 27 threads in the forums
answered

well full box is not initial, so I cant personaly code something right away without looking threw the admin files. But I can code something that shows on the User panel as " Private Messages (#/#)"

Number of messeges/How much you can have
0 replies
M
muscapaul
M
Paul

Sites: Diptera.info (site owner); Online-Keys.net (site owner); Sciomyzidae.info (site co-owner); muscapaul.com (defunct; site owner)
answered
Veteran Member

When the recipient's mailbox is full, the message won't be sent and it won't be placed in your outbox either. But you should receive a warning that the message was not sent because the recipient's mailbox is full.
0 replies
U
Ugleh
U
Ugleh 10
  • Member, joined since
answered

muscapaul wrote:
When the recipient's mailbox is full, the message won't be sent and it won't be placed in your outbox either. But you should receive a warning that the message was not sent because the recipient's mailbox is full.

I didnt know this ^^

Im all by myself on my site. I dont even get PMs lol
0 replies
C
chamberlas
C
answered

muscapaul wrote:

You do get a message, but it is a very small, blackk text message displayed at the top of the screen that you would get if it was sent successfuly. It does not stand out or highlight in any way the fact that it is full. Is there a way to make the font bigger and a different colour so the message would jump out more at the user ?
0 replies
U
Ugleh
U
Ugleh 10
  • Member, joined since
answered

chamberlas wrote:

muscapaul wrote:

You do get a message, but it is a very small, blackk text message displayed at the top of the screen that you would get if it was sent successfuly. It does not stand out or highlight in any way the fact that it is full. Is there a way to make the font bigger and a different colour so the message would jump out more at the user ?

go to messages.php or go to messages.php in local and find the message

(if in messages.php in Root find the Local)

and add <b> brackets </b> around them, or color also
0 replies
C
chamberlas
C
answered

Qwertz wrote:

chamberlas wrote:

muscapaul wrote:

Hmmmm, modifying the main script doesn't seem like a good solution as it will be overwritten with the next patch/upgrade ....
or is this the standard thing to do ?
0 replies
U
Ugleh
U
Ugleh 10
  • Member, joined since
answered

chamberlas wrote:

Qwertz wrote:

chamberlas wrote:

muscapaul wrote:

Hmmmm, modifying the main script doesn't seem like a good solution as it will be overwritten with the next patch/upgrade ....
or is this the standard thing to do ?

Next upgrade wont happen for awhile, and I doubt upgrades will be for messages.php as we work more on security upgrades.

but if you dont want to mess around with messages.php

go to your root host and then go to Locale and then go to messages.php in your Local file.

then $locale['628'] itll say
$locale['628'] = "Unable to send the Private Message. The user's inbox is full.";

turn that to something like
$locale['628'] = "<font color="red"><b>Unable to send the Private Message. The user's inbox is full.</b></font>";
0 replies

Labels

None yet

Statistics

• Views 0 views
  • Posts 9 posts
  • Votes 0 votes
  • Topic users 3 members

3 participants

M
M
Paul

U
U
Ugleh 10
  • Member, joined since
C
C

Notifications

Track thread

You are not receiving notifications from this thread.

Related Questions

Not yet