Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?

small protection agains "page source view" via browsers

Asked Modified Viewed 3,461 times
E
exe_work
E
  • Junior Member, joined since
  • Contributed 16 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 3 threads in the forums
  • Started this discussions
asked

Hi everyone :)

Today I was thinking about how much work people add making new designs especially for those who just starters at this role (like me), and if you try hard you created something that at least to you looks nice :) ..But one day some random amateur gets to your site, "rips" the hole code and copy the themes pics. And that's quite sad.. especially for those who spend a lot to time to create that theme..
I know that it's impossible to fully protect your theme, and source code from "thieves"
However maybe anyone have ideas how at least basically protect your theme.php, style.css source from simple chrome, opera, firefox... "page source view" functions? (so at least amatuers can't read it so easily)
0 replies

9 posts

H
HobbyMan
H
Just some Guy
  • Veteran Member, joined since
  • Contributed 1,486 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 91 threads in the forums
answered
Veteran Member

You can't extract php files from view source, only the outputted HTML. To reverse engineer a theme from that would be a lot of work when all you have to do is request a copy of the original files from the author. PHPFusion is licensed under AGPL, which means anyone can request theses files.

Anyway, why would you mind others accessing your css file when this is an open source community? The whole point of OS is to share your work so that others can use and maybe improve it. Once you put something on a publicly available site, a tiny minority can take your work and claim it as their own, that's just the nature of the internet. Many have tried to block "view source" but there is no foolproof way of preventing to do so.
0 replies
E
exe_work
E
answered

yes I mean html source not php (my mistake) :) I understand that php-fusion is open source, but am I correct saying that the theme I design (created) and coded to run on php-fusion is my intellectual property? and if I find website with the same theme I could request to delete it right? :)
0 replies
H
HobbyMan
H
Just some Guy
answered
Veteran Member

If you design your own theme for your site, you must under the terms of the license* share the theme with anyone who requests it. They are obligated not to remove any authors credits or links and cannot pass it off as there own work.
If someone "rips" your theme, images, etc without acknowledging you as the original author, you can request they remove it and if they refuse you can contact their host who may take the appropriate action.

* unless you buy the appropriate license.

--
0 replies
E
exe_work
E
answered

I understand now. Thanks for detail explanation :)
0 replies
B
BlueRat
B
  • Contributed 25 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 10 threads in the forums
answered

i am sure i agree what Philip says
You can't stop people from using what you show them.

PHPFusion is licensed under AGPL

1) but one thing you can do it is to protect your images add your logo or water mark

2) try to disable the right click

by using java script

i am sure that my help you
0 replies
G
gh0st2k
G
Ex Senior Dev.
  • Member, joined since
  • Contributed 131 posts on the community forums.
answered

And every visitor can disable java script => no protection... everything you can see in the browser is transfered to the user, so you can't protect it!
0 replies
R
Rolf Mayer
R
Ex
  • Senior Member, joined since
  • Contributed 391 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 7 threads in the forums
answered

There is a possibility to protect your stuff:

Don't publish it on the internet! B)
0 replies
A
Ankur
A
Ankur 10
Hi! Its me, Ankur Thakur! smile
  • Contributed 1,277 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 60 threads in the forums
answered
Veteran Member

You cannot stop people from doing like this if you have made your Stuff Publicly Downloadable. Like, if you make a Theme and you've submitted it on public website(like this), then anyone can download the Theme and can edit the source itself and can use it...

But it also depends on the user that how he uses it. B) This is his responsibility that How does he shows that it also includes some work done by you... B)

I am also suffering from one people who has just removed the copyright from my theme and using it by just removing one background image using in buttons... So what I am currently doing, is contacting him through the website... B) LOL !

So you can also try the same ! ;)
0 replies
N
NetriX
N
NetriX 10
Need help? Having trouble?
» View our Documentation for guides, functions and more - including the Getting Started section!
» Attach Log Files and Screenshots when reporting issues
» My support days are usually Mon-Thurs. Send me a PM if urgent.
  • Contributed 566 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 93 threads in the forums
answered

You can't stop users from copying your source. It's rather simple to reverse engineer PHPFusion theme's if you know what your doing.

Not to brag about it, but I can do it within 30 minutes usually depending on the severity of the images.

There are methods of getting around the AGPL to stop users from requesting your theme, methods in which I care not to explain due to annoyance.

I have a solution for your problems. While you cannot stop users from ripping your source, you can however use PHP and .htaccess to stop users from downloading your images.

I suggest reading this article as it covers exactly what I'm referring to.

Article: http://michael.theirwinfamily.net/articles/csshtml/protecting-images-using-php-and-htaccess
Demo: http://michael.theirwinfamily.net/demo/php/imageBlocker/

But then again, if the user is extremely dedicated, they could run print screen and just save the images accordingly, your best hope is there noobish when it comes to brainstorming methods around it.

Good luck,
NetriX
0 replies

Category Forum

Themes Support

Labels

None yet

Statistics

• Views 0 views
  • Posts 9 posts
  • Votes 0 votes
  • Topic users 7 members

7 participants

H
H
Just some Guy
N
N
NetriX 10
Need help? Having trouble?
» View our Documentation for guides, functions and more - including the Getting Started section!
» Attach Log Files and Screenshots when reporting issues
» My support days are usually Mon-Thurs. Send me a PM if urgent.
  • Contributed 566 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 93 threads in the forums
G
G
Ex Senior Dev.
  • Member, joined since
  • Contributed 131 posts on the community forums.
B
B
  • Contributed 25 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 10 threads in the forums
R
R
Ex
  • Contributed 391 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 7 threads in the forums
A
A
Ankur 10
Hi! Its me, Ankur Thakur! smile
  • Contributed 1,277 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 60 threads in the forums
E
E

Notifications

Track thread

You are not receiving notifications from this thread.

Related Questions

Not yet