Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?

Special Multisite

Asked Modified Viewed 1,388 times
K
kinorro
K
  • Newbie, joined since
  • Contributed 1 post on the community forums.
  • Started 1 thread in the forums
  • Started this discussions
asked

my question is about multisite but is little different.

I have 3 sites and another (father) that I want share information (users, news, etc.)

But I want to this site (father) share information with others 3 sites but not between them.

Is this possible?

SITEFATHER

SITEA SITEB SITEC

I want to share A, B and C with FATHER but not between them.

Thanks and regards
0 replies

2 posts

V
vaesir
V
vaesir 10
  • Junior Member, joined since
  • Contributed 37 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 13 threads in the forums
answered

Nop. They will share everything
0 replies
P
PeaceLaced
P
PHP-Fusion MAIN Support Team
PHP-Fusion USA NSS Admin
  • Member, joined since
  • Contributed 154 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 23 threads in the forums
answered

There are three ways I am seeing this possible, all major undertakings.

A first thought would be to have ONE database and modify every table with a site marker. IE, 0 = father, 1 = first site, 2 = second site, 3 = third site. Then, code would need to be written to check which marker was for which site IE, if >= 0, pull all data, if == 1 only pull 1 data, if == 2 only pull 2 data, etc. Lastly, every database injection would require modification to include which site the data was coming from.

A second, possible easier option (less modification) would be to have each site use their own separate database. Then, modify only the father fusion code while leaving the three siblings normal installations. A few things must happen to get father working correctly. Modification to call from all four databases (possible network bog issues here). Modification to display the data in an organized fashion (easy enough, just figure out how and stick to it, IE, by date, by site, etc). Last, and the most important, would be to figure out how to uniquely identify data coming from each database that may otherwise contain the same reference, IE user ID 1 pulled from all four sites equals four different people. This will cause problems. One solution could be to add unique site identifiers to all requests coming from father, IE, on call from site 1, append 001 to EVERY number, on call from site 2, append 002, etc.

A last possibility, and one that makes the most sense to me, would be to have four individual site installs, and no modification to the core files. Instead, write a script that can be run once day, once an hour, or on every page refresh, that basically extracts the data from each sibling and dumps it to father. This script would calculate and convert unique identifiers, as well as place references to each conversion in a single table so on every subsequent pass it knows how to modify the dump.

In my opinion, the third option is the most elegant with the first two being the messy and possibly confusing route. All three would require ample amounts of time to accomplish, as well as a deep understanding of PHPFusion functionality, PHP code in general, and Advanced Mysql techniques. Also, the above is a very quick think through, there may be more that I am missing.

Hope this helps, and good luck.
0 replies

Labels

None yet

Statistics

• Views 0 views
  • Posts 2 posts
  • Votes 0 votes
  • Topic users 3 members

3 participants

P
P
PHP-Fusion MAIN Support Team
PHP-Fusion USA NSS Admin
  • Member, joined since
  • Contributed 154 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 23 threads in the forums
V
V
vaesir 10
  • Junior Member, joined since
  • Contributed 37 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 13 threads in the forums
K
K
  • Newbie, joined since
  • Contributed 1 post on the community forums.
  • Started 1 thread in the forums
  • Started this discussions

Notifications

Track thread

You are not receiving notifications from this thread.

Related Questions

Not yet