Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?

Newbie Procedural Question

Asked Modified Viewed 2,140 times
R
RVirtue
R
Regards, Richard
  • Junior Member, joined since
  • Contributed 21 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 3 threads in the forums
  • Started this discussions
asked

Please help a newly arrived PHPFusion community member who would like to contribute but who is confused (not unusual for me) about what goes where and how to do it in accordance with this CMS's managerial procedures.

I've been working on a network information utility for several years now and, having reached version 3.31, I thought it might be a good time to make it available for integration and use within some addtional CMS environments. Some developmental details are posted here in these forums and also on the Mods site forums.

My question, now that the PHPFusion edition of Netquery 3.31 is almost ready for release, is about the correct and most acceptable way of making it available to the community. The various CMSs that I've dealt with so far all seem to do things differently (of course) and I don't want my ignorance of procedures here to cause any offence to anyone.

I've noticed, for example that the Mods site is not currently accepting any new contributions but is referring evrything to the Beta Mods site. So I'm totally confused about where a mature (but new to PF) contribution might fit. And, where and how should a notice of its availability be posted when it's ready -- probably within the next few days.

Additional info, if desired, is available at Netquery's main web site. Please advise me.
0 replies

3 posts

M
muscapaul
M
Paul

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like banana (Groucho Marx)

Sites: Diptera.info (site owner); Online-Keys.net (site owner); Sciomyzidae.info (site co-owner); muscapaul.com (defunct; site owner)
  • Veteran Member, joined since
  • Contributed 1,075 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 8 threads in the forums
answered
Veteran Member

IMHO: If you have thoroughly tested it yourself but would still like others to have a go a it to see if it is fool proof, etc., then I suggest you either approach a few members who you think are interested and might have enough time to test it (your post might atrach some interested people), or simply submit it in the Release Candidates forum on the Open Beta site.
0 replies
R
RVirtue
R
Regards, Richard
answered

Thanx very much for your suggestion, Paul. It certainly sounds reasonable to me. I just wanted to be sure that I wouldn't be "stepping on any toes" by posting in the wrong place, or anything like that.

I'm reasonably confident that all is well with the PHPFusion edition of Netquery 3.31, as the live demo seems to function perfectly so far. It was necessary to "cheat" just a little bit (using a slightly modifed version of PF's subheader for Netquery's own nqheader.php, for example) in order to make Netquery's admin selectable stylesheet options work properly. But, most of the full integration into PF's user and admin interfaces was quite trivial and involved no significant changes to Netquery's core functionality which has been working without major problems for some time now.

In any case, I'll certainly be happy to have some "volunteers" take a closer look for themselves. If anyone is interested in getting a pre-release download, just say so here or in my VIRtech.org forums. And I'll then see about submitting it to PHPFusion Mods as an RC as you suggest. Thanx again.
0 replies
R
RVirtue
R
Regards, Richard
answered

For the convenience of anyone interested, release candidate downloads* for Netquery version 3.31, the complete PHP/SQL open-source toolkit of network information utilities, are now available at http://virtech.org/tools/pretest/. When asked for a user name and password, enter both as "pretest" without the quotes. (This is just to prevent casual unintended downloads of pre-release packages.)

For those who may prefer FTP downloading, go to ftp.virtech.org and enter "pretest@virtech.org" as the user name and "pretest" as the password, again without the quotes.

The on-line demos of all Netquery editions (links at http://virtech.org/tools/) are currently running version 3.31. But, if you want to try the admin interface and see for yourself the results of selecting various "skins" in the new PHPFusion CMS edition, you'll need your own copy.

* NOTE: All pre-release download packages are provided for testing and comment only and, while release candidates are believed to be stable, they are not intended for general distribution, nor for use in production environments. Comments may be posted here or in the relevant section of the VIRtech.org forums.
0 replies

Category Forum

General Discussion

Labels

None yet

Statistics

• Views 0 views
  • Posts 3 posts
  • Votes 0 votes
  • Topic users 2 members

2 participants

M
M
Paul

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like banana (Groucho Marx)

Sites: Diptera.info (site owner); Online-Keys.net (site owner); Sciomyzidae.info (site co-owner); muscapaul.com (defunct; site owner)
  • Veteran Member, joined since
  • Contributed 1,075 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 8 threads in the forums
R
R
Regards, Richard

Notifications

Track thread

You are not receiving notifications from this thread.

Related Questions

Not yet