Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?

Using phpMyAdmin as an article "editor"

Asked Modified Viewed 1,398 times
D
dfmurphy
D
  • Member, joined since
  • Contributed 84 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 19 threads in the forums
  • Started this discussions
asked

I've got an idea ...

I've been trying to get a large number of articles ported into my new fusion installation (about 150 printed pages of material spread over many categories and articles).

The online article editing options are less than satisfactory. I've never been a big fan of any wysiwyg html editors because they tend to doo-doo up your pages ... orphaned tags, bloat, etc. And the non-HTML editor isn't too inspiring either. The bummer for me is that these pages are already HTML ready to go. I hand-coded the HTML to my own expectations and I love they way they look "under the hood" so to speak.

Here's my thought, and I'd like to know if it's a bad idea before I try it:

Create a series of dummy articles using the admin/content panel. I'd have the correct titles, but I'd just put "dummy" in the snippet and main body windows. Then I'd go into phpMyAdmin and edit the actual article entries by pasting my pre-prepared HTML pages directly into the appropriate tables. I'm thinking this would replace all of those "dummy" entries I had made. Theoretically, everything should look exactly like I want it to look and I'll be a happy camper.

But I'm worried that fusion might insert unique tags for housekeeping purposes or some other unanticipated condition. Once I get the massive import finished, I would feel okay using the standard editing process to tweak my articles.

Will this work? If I don't hear something, I might just try it anyway to see what happens.
0 replies

2 posts

M
Moishe
M
Moishe 10
It seems the more I learn, the more I don't know!
  • Junior Member, joined since
  • Contributed 22 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 6 threads in the forums
answered

You can put nearly anything you want into the content field in phpAdmin and Fusion will replicate it correctly.

However if you use the Fusion editors to edit it then it might strip some of the code using its parse function.

You have another option -create the html files as they are and link them from Fusion. You can add Menu Navigation to any link via Admin/System/Links.

Fusion is probably the most versitile and yet managable CMS "on the market". Still, like you, I would like more control over which HTML tags it does or does not strip.
0 replies
D
dfmurphy
D
  • Member, joined since
  • Contributed 84 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 19 threads in the forums
  • Started this discussions
answered

I like the article feature. The categoriy feature is great. Integreation into the site is great. Consistent look and feel is great.

Perhaps there should be a third option for putting articles into the article database: upload preformatted HTML.

One potential difficulty would be relative paths in img links and such, but I could work around that as I upload my source.

The System/Links option doesn't place the articles into a category, so that option would only work under more limited circumstances. I'm wanting to do this for about 30 files or so.

If there are any helpful migration tools out there, I would love some insight. I do not look forward to the kind of line-by-line editing that is currently looking necessary.
Edited by dfmurphy on 13-01-2007 08:21,
0 replies

Labels

None yet

Statistics

• Views 0 views
  • Posts 2 posts
  • Votes 0 votes
  • Topic users 2 members

0 participants

Notifications

Track thread

You are not receiving notifications from this thread.

Related Questions

Not yet