Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?

"Base64 disabled for security reasons"

Asked Modified Viewed 3,280 times
H
Homdax
H
Homdax 10
  • Fusioneer, joined since
  • Contributed 2,246 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 108 threads in the forums
  • Started this discussions
asked
Fusioneer

First of all I am not very clear on this Base64 encoding, but as far as I understand it is a way to encode image data to be handled somehow. :P
I just read a bit on it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base64

Now, what if a Web Host has this turned off by default based on security concerns? I know of at least one of the major providers in Sweden that seems to have this set.

How dependent are we on Base64?

Interesting quote from the Wiki:

Spammers use Base64 to evade basic anti-spamming tools, which often do not decode Base64 and therefore cannot detect keywords in encoded messages.

And I guess we use it for:

Base64 is used to encode binary files such as images within scripts, to avoid depending on external files.
The data URI scheme can use Base64 to represent file contents. For instance, background images and fonts can be specified in a CSS stylesheet file as data: URIs, instead of being supplied in separate files.
?
Edited by Homdax on 23-03-2015 11:54,
0 replies

8 posts

C
Chan
C
Chan 0
Lead Developer of PHP-Fusion
  • Super Admin, joined since
  • Contributed 3,841 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 232 threads in the forums
  • Answered 6 questions
answered
Super Admin

Base64 is to convert jpg into binary codes attached into text input and decide to transform it back to image.

Another application is to encode serialized data to kinda preserve UTF-8 properties. (Saw that somewhere before)

And we totally don't use it.
0 replies
J
JoiNNN
J
JoiNNN 10
  • Veteran Member, joined since
  • Contributed 850 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 100 threads in the forums
answered
Veteran Member

Is used for many things, regarding Richard's post, base64 is used often to obfuscate malicious PHP code then is injected in a website's source and decoded just before runtime.
A web hosting company would most likely disable this function on shared hosts which are mainly used by amateurs that don't know much coding or how to make use of this function. Chances are if you don't know what it is or how it works you don't need it. AFAIK Fusion doesn't make use of such functions.
0 replies
H
Homdax
H
Homdax 10
answered
Fusioneer

But I have seen it in themes and perhaps other addons...?

Searching here gives above 45 results.

Grimloch: https://www.php-fusion.co.uk/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=32638&highlight=base64&pid=178770#post_178770
Craig: https://www.php-fusion.co.uk/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=35007&highlight=base64&pid=188418#post_188418
SkPacman: https://www.php-fusion.co.uk/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=35718&highlight=base64&pid=192286#post_192286

I do of course not know whether these examples are relevant, only that they refer to base64 somehow.
0 replies
C
Chan
C
Chan 0
  • Answered 6 questions
answered
Super Admin

Yeah, base64 encode have been used to store image into SQL when you enable WYSIWYG editor like CkEditor or TinyMCE. But it bloats your sql table. These are not recommended since it's slow. You can search for Google say base64 encode image.

Not worry, Richard, we are not doing it this way. We will spend time doing the proper way of Ajax upload plugins instead doing shortcut that way.

Joinnn also had explain it as well on other implementation.

The snippet by Craig is to prevent such code being used. So there are no implementation here.

Base64 encoded input will fail on default PHPFusion security anyway. It's not secure to enable it for users.
0 replies
H
Homdax
H
Homdax 10
answered
Fusioneer

I appreciate the answer Hien. It is comforting. :G

May I stress that this information be added to out Coding Guidelines for Themes and Addons? To prevent anyone from doing it?
0 replies
C
Chan
C
Chan 0
  • Answered 6 questions
answered
Super Admin

Well, they are valid codes, however bad medicine. In core, it will definitely strip these, and base 64encode wont go through.

But there could be a problem having it guidelined here. TinyMce and CkEditor may uses it for image embedding. But what we can do is to ensure our end does not accept it. You wil get error pop up saying bad value and such. Defender does not allow base64 encoded texts or serialized text go through form inputs. They will be automatically trimmed and outputs as plain text. Thats the baseline here. It wont work. :)

But 3rd party stuff.. they have to be inspected manually. if our coded guidlines is that all form posts must go though form sanitizer, and i could crash post should it is not done so, that is what we can do on our end.
0 replies
H
Homdax
H
Homdax 10
answered
Fusioneer

Well, that could be an issue, since both Tiny and CK are widely used. We can not just block it.
Are you saying Defender will convert their code, or just block it?
0 replies
C
Chan
C
Chan 0
  • Answered 6 questions
answered
Super Admin

Defender's job is to Sanitise automatically . I'm not sure myself because i have never encountered one doing base64 encode.
0 replies

Labels

None yet

Statistics

• Views 0 views
  • Posts 8 posts
  • Votes 0 votes
  • Topic users 3 members

3 participants

H
H
Homdax 10
C
C
Chan 0
  • Answered 6 questions
J
J
JoiNNN 10
  • Veteran Member, joined since
  • Contributed 850 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 100 threads in the forums

Notifications

Track thread

You are not receiving notifications from this thread.

Related Questions

Not yet