Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?

[ANSWERED] Admin password?

Asked Modified Viewed 3,761 times
B
bite
B
bite 10
  • Member, joined since
  • Contributed 163 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 5 threads in the forums
  • Started this discussions
asked

hello,
i want to ask what does admin password do?
(not my own account password)

EDIT muscapaul: [ANSWERED] added to subject.
Edited by muscapaul on 31-07-2008 10:37,
0 replies

13 posts

M
muscapaul
M
Paul

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like banana (Groucho Marx)

Sites: Diptera.info (site owner); Online-Keys.net (site owner); Sciomyzidae.info (site co-owner); muscapaul.com (defunct; site owner)
  • Veteran Member, joined since
  • Contributed 1,075 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 8 threads in the forums
answered
Veteran Member

It is necessary for changing some settings in the Admin Panel and for previewing or saving Custom Pages. It is an extra layer of security. In the unlikely case that someone gets hold of your user password (because we all play it save, don't we) on a site where you are an administrator, they cannot do any serious harm there. Hence also the necessity that the passwords are different.
0 replies
B
bite
B
bite 10
  • Member, joined since
answered

OK thanks.
0 replies
G
groovebox
G
  • Junior Member, joined since
  • Contributed 13 posts on the community forums.
answered

Hi - have scanned the forums re v7 and don't quite see the following 2 issues explained (but if anyone can point me to the appropriate threads then that'd be appreciated).

#1 - ADMIN - ON INSTALL
When you do a fresh install of v7 - the "setup" screen says (something like) - user name / password / [no name] / password. I read through some threads that say the Admin is needed for certain features but it is not clear (to me!) where/how to log off as the User and login as Admin. If I enter "admin" and the password from the setup screen it says "invalid username/pass". I do see a number of posts regarding this particular topic but I could not quite see the answer as to what PHPFusion is expecting here nor the logic behind it.

#2 - USER INFO - DOH!
This is not a 'bug' but more of a "Doh!" and is something that I have done on several occasions - that is disabling the User Info panel - of course once you disable that you can no longer log in! (Unless I am missing something? Likely.) Maybe a warning message to the user saying "Disabling the User Info Panel will remove the login..." [something like that] - so you don't remove the User Info and screw things up!

#3 - RESET PASSWORD
Related sort of to #1 - if you say "request new password" - enter your email address - it does send you a link to reset your password - but the link is (literally) "www.YOURDOMAIN.COM/..." - so going to that link does nothing...? I am obviously doing something wrong. (Maybe because this was a fresh install I had not entered a Domain Name in the Admin section?) This is possibly me being a bit thick!

As I say - any links to forum posts that explain these would be more then welcomed.

Respect.
0 replies
M
Matonor
M
Impossible things are there to be made possible
  • Contributed 1,022 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 3 threads in the forums
answered
Veteran Member

1) PHPFusion does not have seperate admin accounts. your user account is your admin account

2) browse to login.php

3) Change your site url in the Main Settings
0 replies
G
groovebox
G
answered

OK - thanks - (sorry!) - when I do a fresh install (like I am going to do now) it does ask for a login name (cool) and a password - then it asks for a 2nd set of passwords for the "admin" account. If that is not the case then [a] why does it require a password and [b] why do some sections require an admin password and how to login as admin if the user name is the admin...?

I have spotted this source of confusion in a couple of other posts too and did not find a way to login as "admin" to access some functions.

Respect.
0 replies
G
groovebox
G
answered

Hey Matonor - thanks for your patience through this...

This is the screen that confuses me...

[img]www.808.co.nz/808_images/user_pass.jpg[/img]

Respect.
0 replies
G
googlebot
G
Visit the new home of the merge between Hacking Vs. Security and Security Override!
My copyright removal has been switched over from HvS to SecurityOverride.
  • Senior Member, joined since
  • Contributed 638 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 28 threads in the forums
answered

Add http:// in the image URL.
0 replies
R
Reef
R
Reef 10
  • Member, joined since
  • Contributed 56 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 18 threads in the forums
answered

groovebox wrote:
Hey Matonor - thanks for your patience through this...

This is the screen that confuses me...

[img]www.808.co.nz/808_images/user_pass.jpg[/img]

Respect.

At this screen just fill it in with the details that you want for your account (assuming that you are going to be the root admin).

Password: This is the one you will login with once the setup is complete. It will be your normal account password once set (until you change it)

Admin Password: Set this to a different password. This one is used as secondary safe-guard. When making changes to things in your admin panel, you will have to use this password in the field provided. It's so that if someone manages to get onto your account, they cant make changes in the admin panel without having this one too.
0 replies
G
groovebox
G
answered

Sorry - but this is still not sinking into my head.

I again did a fresh install (deleted and recreated the database - MySQL) first - just in case there was an issue with that.

Run SetUp - entered my details - used the same password for the Admin and User sections - log in as me (as defined in the main screen) - all good - go to add a user - says I need an Admin password - log out - enter "admin" and "password" - says invalid username or password.

So the "the user is the same as Admin" does not seem right somehow.

Not to be out done - downloaded a fresh copy - installed on my local PC (in case there was an issue with my host) - same deal.

Appreciate all your patience with me - but I even had a friend sit with me and he said the same thing - it is asking for an Admin password but when he logs in as "admin" / "password" - it says invalid user name or password too.

This has to be SOOOO simple and I am SOOOO not seeing the woods for the trees.

Respect.
0 replies
G
googlebot
G
Visit the new home of the merge between Hacking Vs. Security and Security Override!
answered

You only have 1 account. You can only login with 1 account. If your login details are as follows:

username: admin
password: pass123
admin password: 123pass123

then you would login as admin with password of pass123. Then, in the admin panel, for example creating a database backup or a new panel, you have to enter in your admin password, which is 123pass123. If you enter in your normal password (pass123) it will result in an error that says the password is not correct.

This is to add an extra layer of security.
0 replies
K
krunthip
K
  • Newbie, joined since
  • Contributed 4 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 1 thread in the forums
answered

Hi, I installed fusion v7 and unable to access setup admin menu. During the setup first of course the phpmyadmin login and pw is asked, then later user login needs to be made and another Super admin password.
When i login as common user SuperAdmin i only can read my site but I do not see any admin menu. unable to setup my site.
When i login as Admin it still cannot access admin menu it simply does not show up, ]

i tried to use php v 6 and 7 and both times i deleted also mysql database to be sure to start again from scratch, no installation errors but that double security layer is crap.
I use Synology DS107+ server (external nas server)

Pitty i like the fusion but too long busy to get it working while i did not get any errors, I guess it has to do with phpmyadmin and Synology DS107+ which is an external HW server.
I hope you have some advice or tips to get php fusion working.
I think if i read the ammount of user that have problems this security setting is causing problems pitty because in phpmyadmin you can also ad tight security settings so i do not see any advance is making such tight security there are other better ways i think.

edit:) and how it is possible that i login with SuperAdmin
Super Administrator ] and still i am NOT able to see any admin panel or links how to edit my settings , again i started from scratch followeld ALL details still once i logged in i only see my site not ANY button for ADMIN panel
Edited by krunthip on 22-08-2008 01:49,
0 replies
G
groovebox
G
answered

THANK YOU!!

Wow - so simple and I feel silly!!

Yep - thank you VERY VERY much for that - it makes sense now - I was confused by having to enter 2 sets of passwords where v6 you only had one set of password.

Wow - this is COOL and thanks to one and all for your patience!!

Respect.
0 replies
G
googlebot
G
answered

@groovebox, no problem.

@krunthip, start a new thread.
0 replies

Category Forum

Installation Issues - 8

Labels

None yet

Statistics

• Views 0 views
  • Posts 13 posts
  • Votes 0 votes
  • Topic users 7 members

7 participants

M
M
Paul

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like banana (Groucho Marx)

Sites: Diptera.info (site owner); Online-Keys.net (site owner); Sciomyzidae.info (site co-owner); muscapaul.com (defunct; site owner)
  • Contributed 1,075 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 8 threads in the forums
M
M
Impossible things are there to be made possible
  • Contributed 1,022 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 3 threads in the forums
G
G
R
R
Reef 10
  • Member, joined since
  • Contributed 56 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 18 threads in the forums
G
G
B
B
bite 10
  • Member, joined since
K
K
  • Newbie, joined since
  • Contributed 4 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 1 thread in the forums

Notifications

Track thread

You are not receiving notifications from this thread.

Related Questions

Not yet